The January market came in HOT

NUMBERS JAN. 2022  Properties sold:  936 residential properties in Jan (compared with 963 in Jan. 2021, decrease of 3%) Five-year avg for total unit sales in Jan: 840  Sales breakdown included: 661 in residential-property class (down 2% from a year ago)  275 in the condo category (down 5% from a year ago)   Avg. sale price: Residential: $771,739 (+14% from 2021)  Condo: $447,943 (+18% from 2021)  *Important to note that varied pricing and conditions in different neighbourhoods affect average sale prices

 

January made quite the entrance to 2022. For a typically ‘chiller’ month, there was quite a bit of market activity. And while it may be a new year, the same issue persists—a housing supply much too low to satisfy buyer demand. The consequences of this expensive dilemma are showing itself through the continuous increase of sale prices, which are reaching new heights. 

 

The $1M club 

In 2020, only 3% of residential properties sold at over $1M. In 2021, it was 9%, and this year, though only a month or so in, 14% are a part of the $1M club.   But it’s not just the $1M club that’s growing, residential-class properties selling in the $650-$900K range have also seen an increase. In 2021, 33% of residential-class properties sold in that price range, and in January of 2022, 47% did.

 

The Ottawa Real Estate Board pointed out an astonishing observation: the percentage of homes that are selling over $1M has grown significantly in the past couple of years. In 2020, only 3% of residential properties sold at over $1M. In 2021, it was 9%, and this year, though only a month or so in, 14% are a part of the $1M club. 

But it’s not just the $1M club that’s growing, residential-class properties selling in the $650-$900K range have also seen an increase. In 2021, 33% of residential-class properties sold in that price range, and in January of 2022, 47% did. 

The soaring residential-class property prices are having a butterfly effect on the condo market, which is seeing higher sales and prices too. The OREB speculates this may be because condo prices can be more accommodating to buyers’ budgets, thus drawing in more attention and action. 

Well, you know what this means…sellers, it’s still your market! But that doesn’t mean there aren’t opportunities for buyers too. We’ve got you! Reach out to us and we’ll help you strategize. With the team on your side, there’s always an opportunity to be found.

 

Related links: 

 

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published